Directions: In this section, you will hear three news reports. At the end of each news report, you will hear two or three questions. Both the news report and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A, B, C and D. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet I with a single line through the centre.
Questions 1 and 2 are based on the news report you have just heard.
1. A. To satisfy the curiosity of tourists.
B. To replace two old stone bridges.
C. To enable tourists to visit Goat Island.
D. To improve utility services in the state.
2. A. Countless tree limbs.
B. A few skeletons.
C. Lots of wrecked boats and ships.
D. Millions of coins on the bottom.
Questions 3 and 4 are based on the news report you have just heard.
3. A. It suspended diplomatic relations with Libya.
B. It urged tourists to leave Tunisia immediately.
C. It shut down two border crossings with Libya.
D. It launched a fierce attack against Islamic State.
4. A. Advise Tunisian civilians on how to take safety precautions.
B. Track down the organization responsible for the terrorist attack.
C. Train qualified security personnel for the Tunisian government.
D. Devise a monitoring system on the Tunisian border with Libya.
Questions 5 to 7 are based on the news report you have just heard.
5. A. An environment-friendly battery.
B. An energy-saving mobile phone.
C. A plant-powered mobile phone charger.
D. A device to help plants absorb sunlight.
6. A. While sitting in their school's courtyard.
B. While playing games on their phones.
C. While solving a mathematical problem.
D. While doing a chemical experiment.
7. A. It increases the applications of mobile phones.
B. It speeds up the process of photosynthesis.
C. It improves the reception of mobile phones.
D. It collects the energy released by plants.
Directions: In this section, you will hear two long conversations. At the end of each conversation, you will hear four questions. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A, B, C and D. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet 1with a single line through the centre.
Questions 8 to 11 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
8. A. He visited the workshops in the Grimsby plant.
B. He called the woman and left her a message.
C. He used stand-ins as replacements on all lines.
D. He asked a technician to fix the broken production line.
9. A. It is the most modern production line.
B. It assembles super-intelligent robots.
C. It has stopped working completely.
D. It is going to be upgraded soon.
10. A. To seek her permission.
B. To place an order for robots.
C. To request her to return at once.
D. To ask for Tom's phone number.
11. A. She is on duty.
B. She is having her day off.
C. She is on sick leave.
D. She is abroad on business.
Questions 12 to 15 are based on the conversation you have just heard.
12. A. He saved a baby boy's life.
B. He wanted to be a superhero.
C. He prevented a train crash.
D. He was a witness to an accident.
13. A. He has a 9-month-old boy.
B. He is currently unemployed.
C. He enjoys the interview.
D. He commutes by subway.
14. A. A rock on the tracks.
B. A misplaced pushchair.
C. A strong wind.
D. A speeding car.
15. A. She stood motionless in shock.
B. She cried bitterly.
C. She called the police at once.
D. She shouted for help.
Directions: In this section, you will hear three passages. At the end of each passage, you will hear three or four questions. Both the passage and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a question, you must choose the best answer from the four choices marked A, B, C and D. Then mark the corresponding letter on Answer Sheet I with a single line through the centre.
Questions 16 to 18 are based on the passage you have just heard.
16. A. She inherited her family ice-cream business in Billings.
B. She loved the ice-cream business more than teaching primary school.
C. She started an ice-cream business to finance her daughter's education.
D. She wanted to have an ice-cream truck when she was a little girl.
17. A. To preserve a tradition.
B. To amuse her daughter.
C. To help local education.
D. To make some extra money.
18. A. To raise money for business expansion.
B. To make her truck attractive to children.
C. To allow poor kids to have ice-cream too.
D. To teach kids the value of mutual support.
Questions 19 to 21 are based on the passage you have just heard.
19. A. The reasons for imposing taxes.
B. The various services money can buy.
C. The various burdens on ordinary citizens.
D. The function of money in the modem world.
20. A. Educating and training citizens.
B. Improving public transportation.
C. Protecting people's life and property.
D. Building hospitals and public libraries.
21. A. By asking for donations.
B. By selling public lands.
C. By selling government bonds.
D. By exploiting natural resources.
Questions 22 to 25 are based on the passage you have just heard.
22. A. It is located at the center of the European continent.
B. It relies on tourism as its chief source of revenues.
C. It contains less than a square mile of land.
D. It is surrounded by France on three sides.
23. A. Its beauty is frequently mentioned in American media.
B. Its ruler Prince Rainier married an American actress.
C. It is where many American movies are shot.
D. It is a favorite place Americans like to visit.
24. A. Tobacco.
25. A. European history.
B. European geography.
C. Small countries in Europe.
D. Tourist attractions in Europe.
1. A.It was dangerous to live in.
2. B.A storm.
3. B.They were trapped in an underground elevator.
4. C.They sent supplies to keep the miners warm.
5. D.Close some of its post offices.
6. C.Stopping mail delivery on Saturdays.
7. A.Many post office staff will lose their jobs.
8. D.He will lose part of his pay.
9. B.He is a trustworthy guy.
10. D.She is better at handling such matters.
11. C.He is always trying to stir up trouble.
13. A.They stay quiet.
14. C.She was never invited to a colleague's home.
15. B.Houses provide more privacy.
16 D.They will automatically be given hiring priority.
17 C.Visit the school careers service.
18 B.Supervising study spaces to ensure a quiet atmosphere.
19. C.It may be sold at a higher price.
20. A.It is healthier than green tea.
21. D.It does not have a stable market.
22. B.They prefer unique objects of high quality.
23. B.They could only try to create at night.
24. A.Make wise choices.
25. A.To boost the local economy.